Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Harmony

At unexpected times and in unexpected places a feeling of harmony rolls through me. 
I didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grew up.  Before college my parents paid a skillion dollars for a series of tests which would help me select a major and pursue a career.  After a long day of personality and aptitude exams we sat down with the counselor and learned my strengths lay in working with people. 
Since I love and hero worship my Dad I decided to major in business at Texas A&M.  I thought that would please him and make him proud.  I took an accounting course.  I changed my major to Education.  I love and hero worship my mother.  She taught school for many years. 

I earned my degree and began teaching first grade.  I would arrive at school by 6:00 every morning, work until 6:00 every night, all day Saturday, and sometimes most of Sunday.  I loved the children and families.  I loved the other educators with whom I worked.  I felt uneasy and restless.  I found my dream job when we moved to Chattanooga (but really my dream job found me). I earned my Master’s degree in education. I felt uneasy and restless. 
My babies were born.  I sat in my hospital bed.  Something washed over me.  I think it was peace.  I don’t know for sure.  Someone whispered in my ear, “You don’t have to search anymore.” I shivered.

It happened today at the Children’s Museum.  The Trifecta danced while singing a song about a rainbow.  We made fruit loop necklaces using the ROY G BIV pattern (but actually The Trifecta ate most of the cereal and commented continuously about the deliciousness of the sugary delight).  I stood in the middle of a tall staircase overlooking the museum.  Hendley had engaged in a game of imaginary play with a large car upstairs, Elizabeth worked downstairs at the water table, and Mary Ellis’ body moved in fast forward as she completed a loop up the staircase, down the slide, up the staircase, down the slide.  I smiled as I watched them all; so happy, so busy, so involved in the occupation of play.
At unexpected times and in unexpected places a feeling of harmony rolls through me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment