Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Harmony vs. Hysteria

Several days ago I shared my Zentastic experience.  At unexpected times, in unexpected places, a feeling of harmony washes through me.  Approximately 10 people “unfriended” me on Facebook and at least 4 wanted to punch me in the face.
I hope this post makes y’all feel better.
Hysteria.  I spend most of my time managing madness. 

Case study #1:
I gathered the girls around the frog aquarium. Time to clean the tank together!  I emptied the tadpoles into the fishing net for safety.  Six tadpoles lay lifeless in the net.  Only two squirmed around. “What’s wrong with the tadpoles Mommy?” Mary Ellis inquired.  “Oh um, it appears that they have the flu,” I stammered, “I will call Daddy and ask him to take them to the tadpole doctor.”

Case study #2:
Hendley refused to wear her underwear this morning.  She shrieked and whimpered for fifteen minutes.   She urinated on the couch.  “Please,” I pleaded, “Please put them on Hendley.  We have to pick up Granny and go to Ms. Joy’s class.” She stopped cold. “I want to take the toilet paper as my lovie.”  “Only if you wear your panties,” I bargained.

Case study #3:
I set the girls in the tub.  I realized we were out of clean towels.  I ran to the dryer.  I heard screams.  I sprinted back to the bathroom. Water covered the tile floor.  “Mommy,” Elizabeth preached, “We saw a bug on the floor.”  Mary Ellis followed, “We had to feed it.”

When hysteria happens I sweat.  Sometimes I cry alone in the dark when the girls rest. 
My Daddy is a Civil War scholar.   Recently they completed a living history road tour.   My favorite story came from my Mom.  There were ticks everywhere.  The humidity resembled a Nicaraguan jungle. They had to share a bathroom.  They visited a tent where a group of female reenactors were having tea and discussing the roles of Southern women during the Civil War.  “Southern women persist,” shared one of the women.

Southern women PERSIST. 
I heard a thud during nap time. I ran upstairs.  The Trifecta had jumped from their cribs and were hiding in the curtains, giggling.   They cried when I returned them to their place of rest.  Someone threw a Sippy cup at the door.  Hendley screamed.  Her legs were trapped in the rails of her crib. 

I sighed instead of cried…because Southern women PERSIST. That’s why.

No comments:

Post a Comment