Sunday, March 25, 2012

Being Brave


Hendley Grace is cautious.  But today, she was adventurous.  We went to the waterfall on the Greenway today.  Her sisters wore their Keens.  She wore her tennis shoes.  She doesn’t like to get her feet wet. 
“Pick me up, Mommy,” she said.  Her sisters were in the river.  She needed to observe for a minute.  I held her.  We were quiet.  “Take my shoes off, Mommy,” she said.  I took her shoes off.  “Put my feet in the water, Mommy” she whispered. I dipped her feet in the water.  She smiled. “I want my Keens, Mommy,” she requested. I sprinted to the stroller where her Keens were waiting for her.  I put them on her feet.


 
She took my hand.  She led me to the water. 

She climbed out onto the rocks. 
 “You are brave,” I told her, “You are courageous.” I was sweating…because I didn’t want to slip on the slimy rocks. 
 But I was also excited because my Hendley Grace was confident and delighted with herself.




2 comments:

  1. I love that you started a blog. It is such a great way to share and remember those special moments, because I know if you are anything like me you can't remember stuff these days. I love being able to have the blog to look back at all those little (and big things) we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have a blog. I love keeping up with the girls!
    Hendley is so like Maggie. You are doing such a good job with your cautious little one. It can be so frustrating sometimes, you just want to push them in the water. But you are building confidence in her that will last a lifetime. And she knows she can trust you completely.

    ReplyDelete