Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tis The Night Before Preschool

A Crazy Composition by Amy Jackson



Tis the night before preschool and this Mommy can’t sleep,
As I lay here and worry, writhe, and weep.
Three backpacks hang by the front door with care,
In anticipation that frazzled Mommy may leave them dangling there.

The Trifecta is snuggled in their cozy beds,
While visions of center time rave in their heads.
As Mommy lies fretting, Daddy begins to snore,
My triplets are going to preschool, they are babies no more.

My chaotic, anxious brain is filled with preschool clatter,
You are asking yourself, “What is the matter?”
What could go wrong, isn’t preschool a breeze?
Just go on and make this transition with ease!

I have done my best to teach them to share,
I pray that they won’t pull another child’s hair.
When they don’t get their way, will they throw a fit?
What if they scratch, bite and/or hit?

I worry other children may tease them or be unkind,
When their teacher makes a request will they listen and mind?
Preschool today…then college!  What will I do?
Will they pick Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, or MTSU?

And then in a twinkling, I fear they may struggle to learn,
Or steal others toys and not wait for their turn.
I will dress them in Lilly from their heads to their feet,
The clothes they may tarnish from snacks that they eat.

I beg you, Tiny Toes Trifecta, try not to act naughty,
Please, please tell your teachers when you have to go potty.
Do not use obscene language such as “underpants” or “butt,”
If you cannot speak politely, please keep your mouths shut.

Finally, I worry; they’ve stayed routinely with me,
When I leave them in their classroom, it will be tearfully.
You will hear me exclaim, as I walk slowly away,
“HAPPY SCHOOL YEAR TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD DAY!”

No comments:

Post a Comment